HOME : Student Financial Assistance Applying for Aid Receiving Aid Types of Aid Forms General Information Contact Us


International Students

If you are in the U.S. on an F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations) you will not be eligible for federal student aid; however, you should still complete the application because you may be eligible for state or college aid.

• The federal government does not have any specific programs for international students.
• The Office of Student Financial Assistance periodically offers scholarships to non-US citizens. Please refer to our Scholarship Listing.
• To search additional scholarships, please visit www.internationalscholarships.com.
• For other financial support opportunities, please refer to the academic department of your major.
• For general information regarding international students, please visit the International Services Center Web site, www.intl.ucf.edu.

International Students Receiving Private Loans

Please note that International students must have a valid Social Security Number or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN).  Students that are not eligible for a social security number can apply for an ITIN by filing a W-7 with the Internal Revenue Service.  The form and instructions are located on the IRS website:  www.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/formsInstructions.html?value=W-7&criteria=formNumber

Under the section regarding the reason you are submitting the W7 form, you should select the reason that applies to your specific situation.  If you are applying for the ITIN only for the loan process, one of the following may be suitable:

• A nonresident alien individual not eligible for an SSN who is required to file a U.S. tax return or who is filing a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund..
A nonresident alien student, professor, or researcher who is required to file a U.S. tax return but who is not eligible for an SSN, or who is claiming an exception to the tax return filing requirement.

International Students Receiving Scholarships

Awards for international students are subject to NRA tax review by the International Services Center (ISC) prior to disbursement. Specific IRS forms and immigration documents must be submitted each calendar year (when applicable) to ISC:

• Foreign National Information Form

• IRS Form W-8BEN or W-9

• Treaty Paperwork (if applicable)

Please note: Not all forms (mentioned above) are applicable to all students receiving awards. Please contact ISC to determine which forms apply to you.

Individuals with a Social Security Card must present the card at the time the above forms are completed. If you do not have a Social Security number, please contact ISC at (407) 823-2337 for assistance in obtaining a valid tax payer number.

ISC is required by IRS regulation to either have the above documents on file or to submit them to the IRS in a timely manner. This process may be required for each year a student receives an award.

Questions? Contact:
International Services Center (ISC)

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals

For students that have received a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (or DACA) from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, this deferred action does not provide a lawful status.  Further, DACA UCF students are not eligible for federal, state, or institutional aid.  If the DACA student has received a valid Social Security number or a valid Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), the student could be considered for scholarships from private donors or for private loans.  Eligibility depends on the lender/donor restrictions and on the ability of the International Services Center (ISC) to conduct a federal tax review on the awards based on the appropriate legal documents provided by the student.
A DACA student must have a valid Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) or a valid Social Security Number in order to receive any type of financial aid. DACA students should contact the International Services Center to submit the necessary IRS forms and immigration documents prior to the calendar tax year. Please note that if a student has been living in the United States for a period of time, the student must provide sufficient documentation to International Services Center so their status can be determined before Office of Student Financial Assistance can determine their eligibility in receiving the private scholarship.

For DACA students seeking information about the requirements for out-of-state tuition waiver, please refer to the Waiver section of the UCF Student Accounts Services website, www.studentaccounts.ucf.edu.


 On this Page:
  International Students Receiving Private Loans
  International Students Receiving Scholarships
  Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
  Applying for Aid
Shopping Sheet Guide
School Cost
Understanding the To Do List
Dual Enrollment (High School)